A Checklist for Your Next Residential Move
Moving day is fast approaching and now is the time to plan ahead. There are so many small details to keep track of during a relocation, and it’s easy to let things fall through the cracks.
Avoid unnecessary setbacks during your residential move by adhering to the following checklist in chronological order.
- Schedule an estimate with reliable movers and come up with a budget for the entire move. Be sure to thoroughly research all the moving companies in your area before making a hiring decision. Do this as far in advance as possible.
- Catalog all of your expenses religiously so you can stick to your planned budget. Don’t just estimate costs; keep track of all the receipts and estimates you receive so you can more accurately calculate your moving costs.
- Go through your entire house and get rid of anything that you won’t need in your new home. There’s no need to pack extra items that are unnecessary.
- Plan your moving date carefully; take weather, holidays, and other time constraints into consideration. Then, secure the date with the moving company of your choice.
- Decide if you will pack your belongings yourself or if you will hire a company to handle them. If you are packing on your own, plan more than enough time for the monumental task.
- Set up all of the utilities in your new home and disconnect them from your old residence. This may mean calling all of your utility providers, from your cable company to your electricity company.
- Discontinue your delivery services. You don’t want your newspapers and mail going to the wrong house.
- Notify the post office about your move and fill out an official change of address form. You may also need to individually contact other businesses about your move, like your bank, insurance company, doctor, and more.
- Double-check everything with your moving company. This includes payments, potential extra charges, dates, times, and any other important details.
If you’re planning a residential move in the DFW area, skip the hassle of researching dozens of moving companies and contact Green Van Lines.
Their professional movers offer their trustworthy skills at an affordable price and guarantee that your move will go smoothly. Do yourself a favor and call 888-770-4733 today to book your big move.
The Easy Checklist for Changing Your Address
The time has finally come! You’re finally done unpacking every moving crate at your new apartment or home. Now, you’ve got the address in your mailbox, but no one knows where you live. It’s time to change your address officially.
For those who have never changed their address, it can be a confusing, stressful experience. Here is how to officially change your address after a move!
Changing Your Mailing Address
First and foremost, you’ll need to update your address with the United States Postal Service. For many, this is the first and last step.
The USPS keeps a record of your residential address and automatically forwards mail to the new address for a period of six months. From there on out, everything should run smoothly.
Changing your address online
- Visit the Postal Service Change of Address website. The USPS will charge a $1 fee to verify your identity when changing a mailing address. You’ll require a credit or debit card for this part.
- Call 1-800-ASK-USPS. You will need to pay the $1 verification fee for an address change over the phone.
- Ask for Form 3575 at your local post office. If you change your address in person, the verification fee is waived completely.
Now, it’s important to note that you only need to complete one of the above steps. Not all of them! Each one has the same result: changing your address.
You’ve now updated your address in the eyes of the postal service. However, your credit card companies didn’t get the notice. You’ll want to visit their online portal or call over the phone to update your billing address. If you fail to complete this step, you may receive penalty fees for not paying a bill that arrived at your old address.
For affordable, quality residential moving services in Dallas and Fort Lauderdale, contact Green Van Lines today by calling 888-770-4733. We offer experienced residential moves who get the job done right the first time, every time.