Whether you are moving a home or a business, across town or across the country, there are some essential moving supplies that can make the challenge a little easier, more efficient and almost fun. Planning ahead makes packing and moving go smoothly.
Whether you are moving on your own or hiring a company to help, gathering the basic supplies is vital. Before you even begin the process of packing, you’ll need to decide what will go into storage and what will be transported to your new location. This will help you inform the friends or hired workers that help you move.
It is important to acquire the essential moving supplies as soon as the moving date is confirmed. This will save time and minimize the risk of losing something important.
The Basic Packing Materials
- Shredded or crumpled newspapers. These will protect any fragile items and make sure items are tightly packed in the boxes.
- Packing tape and tape guns. These secure the boxes and any items wrapped in newspaper or bubble wrap.
- Cardboard boxes of various sizes. These will stack and store the items you plan to move.
- Lidded storage bins. These are perfect for heavier items that might break cardboard boxes or bags.
- Plastic storage bags. These can protect items and prevent things from dripping or leaking during the move.
- Packing peanuts and bubble wrap. Protection, protection, protection. Making sure nothing breaks will make your transition that much easier.
- Moving blankets. These will help protect furniture and large items from annoying scratches or nicks.
- Plenty of permanent markers. You can never label enough things. Nothing is worse than searching for a specific item in a bunch of blank boxes. Remember to mark on three sides, not just on the top, so that you can see the label even when the boxes are stacked.
The biggest thing to remember? The more you plan your move, the easier the whole process will be.